Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The System Is Down!

. Cheers to the Illinois state tax website. It is ever so efficient. But that’s another story.

So, the big news to report is that all of my lovely plants are in soil and on their way to germination nation. The makeshift grow lab is in the kitchen on a side table, and admittedly, probably looks a bit suspicious if seen from outside on the porch. Big photography lights that are on 24-7, perched over fifty or so little planters. It was pretty funny setting everything up, because Sven and Tavi were sitting at the kitchen table, playing magic, and sort of casually observing the whole event. Little by little they would become more and more enthused about it and sneak in questions here and there about everything I was doing. I couldn’t tell if it was because they thought I was crazy and entertaining the impression that I was getting ready to set us all ablaze in the middle of the night with all of the cords and lights or if they enjoy the thought of our little garden. Ok…that’s not entirely true. I know they’re excited. They’re foodies too. But it was funny to see them watching my every move.

Shortly after the entire growing apparatus was set up (which really was pretty rough and tumble; table, cardboard box, jiffy pots, large serving plates, and photography lighting with plant bulbs), the guys decided we needed to name the plants. Here’s what we came up with:

Basil - Stella (1-10, as there are technically 10 little potential Stella’s at this point)

Romaine - Lattuga (1-10)

Broccoli - Frans-wah (1-10)

Chives –Bob (a bunch!)

Beans – good god, I’m a bad mother, I don’t remember…

Peas – Mastadon (1-8)

Obviously, the names may not stick, seeing as I can’t really remember them and I’m just down the road using internet right now, so that’s probably not a good sign. ;)

Pictures are on the way…I’ve taken quite a few. Nothing too interesting at this point…just a lot of starter soil…but SOON!


here they are!

(the beginning...now everyone is a LOT closer to the warm grow lights above)

(the very first little babies peeking up above the soil!)

No comments:

Post a Comment