Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chicken Little

Quick! Run for cover! The sky is falling!

Or, at the very least its turning gray. It seems our cold front has finally made it to town, and oddly enough, I'm somewhat happy about it. Although it means the plants won't be able to hang outside quite as much over the next few days, after the catnap I took in the sun this afternoon, cool air is a rather refreshing change of pace. Not that I'm wishing for this all summer. God, no! But I am relieved at the moment.

I'm starting to notice a lovely fresh plantlike smell all throughout the kitchen. Nearly all of our viable window space is coveted in at least one way or another by something green and growing, and I have to say, I'm loving it. Andrew and I took a stroll through a few gardening centers today. Bless his black soul, he put up with all of my sniffing and giggling and rubbing my face in little herbs (mainly the lavender, catnip, and cilantro). I think he was a little mortified after a while, as he stole my sunglasses and wouldn't return them until we were safely in the car. He said it was because I was hiding behind them, but I know the truth. :)

Man, if I had $5,000, a plot of land, and no bills, I swear I could spend it all on plants. Maybe I should be feeling a bit obsessive, but I think Andrew put it best...its something that puts a real, true, genuine smile on my face. Yes, redundant, but necessary to describe the feeling I get walking through a greenhouse. Its like peace sneaks up on me and steals my worries, leaving them behind by the tomatoes while I dabble with the snapdragons and point cheerfully at the succulents. More than likely its backlash from living away from the country for so long. I miss wide open land with apple orchards and rose bushes aplenty. I wish I could have a greenhouse.

These have been interesting days. Tavi pops in and out of the week like a squirrel. He's constantly on the go, and I can't help but wonder what will happen when he finally has the opportunity to stop for a bit. I'm also wondering quite a bit about where we'll end up. But its to be seen, and since I don't have a solid plan yet, I suppose its all just idle contemplation anyway. Its good though, because that kind of thing breeds yearning and clarity, and leads the way to goals sought out and accomplished. Which, I certainly could use more of.

Cheers for now...I'm off to play around at making a new chicken breast recipe. Thanks again, Spice House for all of the lessons in seasoning!

No comments:

Post a Comment